A milestone is a significant marker or point in a project, for example it might be an achievement or an important date or the completion of key part of the delivery.
The milestone list is a list of all the project milestones and includes: milestone title, description, the milestone type, and whether the milestone is associated with a fixed date. stakeholdermap.com
Optional milestones can be used to denote the completion of significant phases or events in the project, for example the project manager may use milestones in the project schedule to help them monitor progress. How to use Project Milestones in your project
See what is in the Template! Check out the Contents complete with Hints and Tips on how to use.
Check out the contents below or Grab the template now!
The contents of the Milestone List Template
Field Description and guidance completion
Project details and document control
Provide information on the project and document:
- Project Name and Reference
- Project Manager
- Document Date
Give each milestone a milestone ID, this ID can be used to identify the milestone in the project schedule and other documentation.
Give each milestone a title that is as understandable as possible, i.e. a title that the project team will understand.
Describe the milestone clearly so that the project team and project board can understand what it signifies.
Note whether the milestone is mandatory or optional. For example meeting a contract may require the achievement of some milestones. Often Statements of Work may include payment milestones. Others might be optional, for example the project manager may choose to use milestones to denote key points in the project lifecycle. See Project Milestones for more on how to use milestones.
Some milestones may need to be achieved on or by a certain date. For example 'conference preparations completed' must be accomplished before the conference date. If this is the case enter the date in this field.
Milestone List Template
Excel download - Milestone List Template (.xls)
Excel download - Milestone List Template (.xlsx)
Other Project Templates to download
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- Project Management Plan Template - FREE Project Management Plan template with hints, tips and boilerplate text
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Prince2 Templates - All of the Prince2 Templates available here for FREE.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.